Auckland Transport is a Controlled Organisation (CCO) of Auckland Council. The new organisation combines the transport expertise and functions of eight local and regional councils and the Auckland Regional Transport Authority (ARTA).
The establishment of Auckland Transport marks the first time in Auckland’s history, that all transport functions and operations for the city, have come under one organisation.
Auckland Transport is responsible for all of the region’s transport services (excluding state highways) - from roads and footpaths, to cycling, parking and public transport.
Among its main tasks are:
- To design, build and maintain Auckland’s roads, ferry wharves, cycle-ways and walkways
- Co-ordinate road safety and community transport initiatives such as school travel
- Plan and fund bus, train and ferry services across Auckland.
- New Zealand Transport Agency
- Auckland Transport
- Greater Wellington Regional Council
- Ministry of Transport