Children can Snapper too
August 17, 2009
From 20 August, children who catch the bus will be able to Snapper their GO Wellington bus fares.
“GO Wellington introduced the ability for adult customers to pay their bus fare with Snapper last year. There are now over 85,000 Snappers in Wellington and more than 20,000 adult trips each day are ‘snappered’ on GO Wellington buses,” says Mr Kenyon, General Manager of GO Wellington. “Now, it is the turn of Wellington’s children.”
Mr Kenyon says he expects the move to pay for your bus fare by using Snapper will make bus travel for children easier.
“We have been piloting this with around 3800 school children since April of this year. Eight Wellington colleges have been involved and feedback has been very positive, “he says. “We anticipate GO Wellington’s child customers will make the transition to paying by Snapper with ease. Certainly school children on Valley Flyer services have made the change to Snapper without difficulty,” he says.
“By ‘snappering’ their bus fares, children attending school full-time will automatically receive a 20 per cent discount off the cash price of a single child bus fare. There is the added advantage of additional flexibility as customers can travel seamlessly on buses between the Hutt Valley and Wellington,” says Mr Kenyon. “Also, with the ability to register your Snapper online, and the addition of a new Snapper hot-listing facility, there is greater security should a child lose their snapper card, than if they lose their 10 trip ticket.”
“Years 1-8 have green Snapper child cards. Secondary school students (years 9-13) need to personalise their card to access the child fares” he says. ” We are now communicating with our customers to ensure they have the information they need and we will keep doing so over the next few months.”
The following dates have been established to support a smooth transition of children to Snapper:
· From Sunday, 11 October 2009, child 10 trip tickets will no longer be sold.
· From Thursday, 31 December 2009, 10 trip tickets will no longer be able to be used on GO Wellington buses.
· Refunds of any remaining value on child 10 trip tickets will be available between 1 January and 30 June 2010.
- ends -
For more information please contact
Siobhan O’Donovan, Communications Manager, NZ Bus
Phone: 021 840 839
Information for parents of Year 1-8 students:
· Primary school children between years 1 and 8 will be issued an easily identifiable green “child” Snapper which entitles them to child discounted fares.
· Green Snappers are available from a range of retailers throughout central Wellington and the Hutt Valley – just look for the Snapper sign.
· Alternatively you can visit www.snapper.co.nz to buy your green Snapper online or see the latest list of Snapper retailers.
Information for parents of Year 9-13 students:
· Secondary school students will be issued a Red Snapper personalised with their date of birth. The card ‘knows’ the user is a student.
· To get a personalised Red Snapper, children will need to complete an application form and provide proof of their date of birth.
· If they are 16 years of age or older they will also need to provide proof of enrolment at a secondary school.
· For more information on how children can swap to Snapper, look out for the information leaflet that can be found in schools.
· Alternatively you can go to www.gowellingtonbus.co.nz to view the brochure.
Where to hook a Snapper:
The personalised Snappers are available on the following dates from the temporary Snapper Service Store – Courtney Central, Ground Floor, 100 Courtney Place, Wellington:
· Thursday, 20 August: 12pm to 7pm
· Friday, 21 August: 12pm – 7pm
· Saturday, 22 August: 10am – 5pm
· Sunday, 23 August: 10am – 5pm
· Thursday, 27 August: 12pm – 7pm
· Friday, 28 August: 12pm – 7pm
· Saturday,29 August: 10am – 5pm
· Sunday, 30 August: 10am – 5pm
From 31 August personalised snappers will be available from the Snapper Office, Level 3, Johnston Street, Wellington.
Back to the NZ Bus news archive